This project aims to improve access within Victoria Quarter for residents and visitors, create a safer and more child-friendly community with better access to open and play spaces and more public life. In doing this, we hope that the community will be strengthened, form a sense of pride for the area, and feel more valued.
All current planning for improvements in Victoria Quarter leave improvements in the unfunded, 10+ year bucket. As such, all outcomes below are intended to 'fill the gap' that residents have in their community for the next 10 years. In the case of community, the outcomes are intended to create a lasting culture of confidence and ownership of their neighbourhood.
The objectives in the tables below are based on the City Centre Master Plan 2012 and represent the outcomes of a large exercise in engagement and aspirational city planning. These areas were specifically identified for the Victoria Quarter area.
1. Show the possibilities for Victoria Quarter becoming a vibrant and engaging destination for city centre residents, Aucklanders and international visitors to New Zealand.
1a. Residents' and Visitors' perception of the area become positive
2. Victoria Quarter becomes a more vibrant retail and commercial area.
2a The number of cafes in the area increases
2b Commercial occupancy rate increases, allowing businesses supporting the local community to thrive
3. Victoria Quarter meets the needs of its rapidly growing and changing residential population
3a. More places for children to play
3b. Families choosing to stay in the area when they have children
3c. Improved perception of safety for residents in the area, especially after dark
4. The project helps to build the resilience and independence of the Victoria Quarter community
4a. More residents rating a sense of community as important
4b. More residents feeling a sense of community
5. Victoria Quarter becomes a more culturally rich area, filled with opportunities for creativity
5a. More artwork in Victoria Quarter
5b. More artwork created by the local community in Victoria Quarter
6. Victoria Quarter becomes a more walkable and pedestrian-friendly area that is better connected to neighbouring areas.
6a. Improved accessibility through the area for residents and visitors on foot, by wheelchair or with a pram.
6b. More people walking to and from K’rd, Freemans Bay and Ponsonby
7. Victoria Quarter becomes features a more natural environment with improved environmental performance
7a. More trees and greenery in the area
7b. Increased support for pollinating species